Qualifications Recognition

Who assesses my overseas qualification?

Many organisations assess overseas qualifications in Australia.
Why you need your overseas qualification assessed will determine which organisation you need to contact. You may need your overseas qualification assessed for employment, study, or to migrate to Australia.
If you would like to migrate to Australia, contact the Department of Home Affairs. Qualifications Recognition Policy does not assess qualifications for migration.


The requirements to work in Australia depend on the occupation. In some occupations, these requirements must be met before you start working, and may be required by law. Meeting these requirements is usually a separate process to applying for a job. In all occupations, the employer decides who they will employ.

For specific occupations

Occupations that require specialised knowledge and skills in Australia have registration, licensing, professional membership or other industry requirements that must be met before you can start working. We do not assess qualifications for these purposes because in Australia, there are authorities responsible for these occupations.

For general purposes

If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and are looking for a job with no specific requirements as above, you can contact an Australian state of territory government Overseas Qualifications Unit (OQU) listed below if you would like to know how your overseas qualification compares in Australia.
An OQU can assess your overseas qualification in general terms or provide you with further advice on how to get your overseas qualification recognised. We work with OQUs to facilitate their advice. 
If you have been referred to Qualifications Recognition Policy by an OQU or another organisation for a qualification assessment see Services for individuals.
The ACT Overseas Qualification Unit is only able to assist clients who live in the ACT and can provide proof of address.
New South Wales
There is no Overseas Qualification Unit in NSW. However trade qualification can be assessed.
If you live in NSW and require an assessment of your trade qualification, contact State Training Services, NSW Department of Industry via email at sts.vtu@industry.nsw.gov.au
Northern Territory
South Australia
Tasmanian Assessment, Standards and Certification
Level 6, 39 Murray Street
Hobart  TAS  7000
Phone:  (03) 6165 6000
Email:  enquiries@tasc.tas.gov.au
Western Australia


If you would like to study in Australia, contact the education institution where you wish to study. The education institution, such as a university, higher education provider or registered training organisation, assesses overseas qualifications for admission to study. Information about Australia education providers, courses, scholarships, the application process and requirements is at Study in Australia.
Qualifications Recogntion Policy does not assess overseas qualifications for admission to study.

Services for organisations

 For organisations involved in the assessment of overseas qualifications or international mobility, we provide Services for organisations.

Qualifications Recognition Policy

The Department of Education manages qualifications recognition policy to support student and labour market mobility, including professional recognition and other activities formerly undertaken by the National Office for Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR).